Friday, November 12, 2010

Come On Feel The Noise...

Ever wonder about those obnoxious sound barriers that seem to be popping up all over the highway these days?

To me it takes all the fun out of a long car ride. I used to be able to look forward to driving past beautiful brand new housing developments perched right along the side of the interstate -- and I'd wonder if maybe the developments were colonies of deaf people who didn't care where their house stood. I've since learned that most of the people who live near the highway have at least average hearing. And, it was their choice to live so close to the hum of the highway.

It's hard to believe that a fifteen foot slab of faux bricks is really going to make any difference in the noise level. Call me crazy, but it's not like those folks woke up one morning and said, "dang, where did that busy eight-lane road come from?" I'd think that anyone who buys a home within that proximity to that much noise must on some level like it. So, why are we trying to stop them from hearing it? And with our tax dollars to boot.

I say, give 'em what they asked for. But if you must put up barriers, at least make 'em clear, so I can see who I'm pissing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment